Disposal of IT Resources
Information Security Plan
- The Material Management Office auctions surplus computers and disk drives to the public, and destroys all drives.
- IT support staff are responsible for ensuring that all information, operating systems and other software (including all media) have been removed (sanitized) from the equipment sent to surplus.
- Management needs to ensure that proper documentation of all items for surplus are provided to the Materials Management Office when systems/media are picked up.
- Surplus documentation is vital to the campus inventory reconciliation process.
- The IT Security Office recommends writing over the hard drive once to sanitize any remnants of information or software.
- Writing over the hard drive in this manner still leaves the drive usable.
- Defective media (hard drives, tapes, etc) must be removed from systems and labeled for destruction so that Material Management can shred them to prevent access to information or licensed software.
- Managers should ensure that CD-ROMs and DVDs which are no longer required are shredded.
- Media containing protected information which cannot be shredded immediately should be secured until disposed of according to approved procedures.